That’s a big question, to which there are few definitive answers. We decided to put it to the test and find out. Our findings might surprise you…
- Will researchers lose jobs to AI – or will clients abandon them to research directly using ever-smarter tools? Concerns like this are stressing many in the research world.
- Instead of joining in the speculative debate, we joined up in March 2023 with our trusted tech partner Qualzy because we know they share our curiosity and enthusiasm about AI.
- We designed a two-week pop-up community experiment to test the AI experiences of research participants and explore a topic of interest to our client Mitchells & Butlers.
- Some received follow-up questions fielded by AI. Others, from a human. While another group received AI-generated questions that a human moderator had refined and edited.
- The results were fascinating. They validated our firm belief that human professionals will remain relevant in qualitative research yet revealed more acceptance than we expected.
- We know that the art and expertise of professional researchers lie in building real relationships with real people, on which good qualitative research will always rely.
- Yet, to reach our future, we must face the risks positively and recognise all the opportunities AI offers – because if we do it wrong, it won’t do us any favours at all…
- Mustard is ‘all in’ – this experiment is just the start. We are actively testing and trialling just what AI could do for us, and to make a difference for our clients.